Monday, April 30, 2012

On Spiritual Gifts (confused and such)



This is one subject that thoroughly confuses me, I'll be honest there are a lot, but this is one of them. Maybe it's because it isn't spoken of often and when it is it's accompanied with a test.

Oh... the spiritual gifts test, I sort of loath them. They remind me of the ones you take in middle school that are supposed to tell you which career best suits you. The test where if you answer the questions in just the right way you'll have your dream job of being a veterinarian. Even when you're twelve you know how the thing works.

So it goes with the spiritual gifts test, it's entirely obvious which questions lead to which gifts.

Today I filled out my employee evaluation form and one of the questions read, "What is your spiritual gift? And when was the last time you used it?"

I sort of dread that question, mainly because I am so insecure in it. I don't know. I don't know which ones are my gifts, what's yours, you tell me.  

Even if I do try and state one it's always followed with..."That's just like what other people have told me before."

I feel it's the same for most believers, there is an insecurity in not knowing which gifts you have and then there is the fear of saying it out loud if you do.

Let's say I have the gift of wisdom, I have no idea how I could claim that without feeling arrogant. It almost feels like we don't talk about "giftings," because it isn't humble. Isn't that the strangest thing? Shouldn't we be discussing them more?

I don't know if I've met anyone who didn't hesitate when stating their gift. I wish that Paul would have included a God-breathed test to make this whole thing easier.

But I guess that's just it. It forces you to be personal, to ask the Lord and seek Him out on it because ultimately it is Him who will reveal it to you.

I think that scares me though because the moment I know what it is...I have to submit and make myself available in that way. I'm kind of comfortable in the unknown but at the same time I'm so curious.


  • Prophecy, Serving, Teaching, Encouraging, Giving, Leadership, Mercy, Words of Wisdom, Words of Knowledge, Faith, Healing, Miraculous Powers, Distinguishing (discerning) Spirits, Speaking in Tongues, Interpretation of Tongues and Compassion.  (taken from Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and 1 Corinthians 12:28) 
So there they are, according to the three most popular passages regarding the subject.

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts. Do you know what your spiritual gifts are? If so, when was it revealed to you? How was it revealed?

Kels

P.S. If you are unfamiliar with the Christian Bible and are extremely confused it's okay, I am too. That should rule out wisdom (maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment