Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Things Learned (the 2 year mark)




Today was our two year anniversary. I feel the same, much like a birthday, except we share in it. I do like that part, that it's our day.

We'll celebrate this weekend in Kansas City. Today you want to know what I asked Todd to do when we got off work? I asked if we could take Hosmer to the dog park together...you read that right. It's the little things with me.

The past two years have gone by crazy fast, I feel like we just left Mexico. Earlier today in Mama Carmen's I was talking to Julie Fish

"When does the honeymoon phase end?" I asked.

 She replied, "It should have already ended but the fact that you're asking that is a good thing." Haha.

I love being married to Todd. I have learned a lot and have miles more to go. I feel blessed that we have found so much joy in our marriage thus far.

Here is a little compilation of things learned the silly and the serious.


  1.  Cooking isn't fun. I still don't like it. I do it, but I would rather craft. Does this get easier? Help. 
  2. Todd reads more than anyone I know and he has to finish the book he started. This little known fact makes me want to figure out a way to get him to read the first few pages of something ridiculous. Lauren Conrad has fiction books out doesn't she?   
  3. I have come to learn to treasure the times Todd can come to "big church," with me. They are few and far between when you work in ministry. 
  4. Neither of us care if the top of the toothpaste tube is all clumped up with toothpaste. I was sure this would annoy him that I leave the top flipped open, nope, we are rebels with our hygiene. 
  5. You can and should have a song for every occasion (made up of course). Todd is the best at this, I always think mine are original and then he has to point out that it's to such and such tune. 
  6. Forgiveness is hard. 
  7. Getting a dog was a good idea.
  8. Todd a really good listener and doesn't care if a cry a lot. He is honest and doesn't just tell me what I want to hear. He shoots me with the truth. I love that about him. 
  9. Friendships with your girlfriends just look different now. No one prepared me for that. I don't swing by my friends houses, knock once, walk in and ask them if they want to go to Eureka Springs on a whim anymore. I don't walk down the hall to Whitney's room crawl in her bed and laugh and cry with her till we fall asleep. Girl nights end with us all going home, not with a sleepover. It is still good but different from what I knew (M - thanks for chatting with me about this one, you're right it's weird and hard).
  10. I like things in their proper place and have a hard time when things are messy, Todd exposes this. A couple of weeks ago Todd moved one of our dressers maybe an inch so he could plug in his computer. He was sitting on the bed, I walked in the room and stood there, scanning the perimeter.  My eyes zoned in on the dresser and I found it.  It freaked him out. "How can you even notice those things??" I don't know. But I can. And my mom can too. 
  11. Taxes are the worst. 
  12. I'm protective of my shampoo. I can share all other things, but the minute I smell biolage on Todd's head we have a problem. 
  13. My emotions can be controlled. Just because I feel sad doesn't mean I need to let it dictate my day, just because I feel anxious doesn't mean I need to let that dictate my day either. I can say no to that feeling and choose to find refuge in Jesus.
  14. The more we pray together, the more I like it. And I think we've gotten better at it, isn't that strange? But I really do. It's deeper, we are more in tuned to one another spiritually now then when we first got married. 

Here we go, entering the next year in just a few hours. 

Best, 

Kels 

No comments:

Post a Comment