Saturday, December 17, 2016

8 Questions for the American Church







It’s not until very recently that I’ve finally decided to vocalize my thoughts both politically and spiritually. 
I can’t separate the two from what’s going on in our country,
they go hand and hand and the prayers of the latter concept influence the former.

For the past 10 years, as long as I’ve been walking with Jesus I’ve told myself numerous times, that if I ever wanted to have a political conversation or voice my opinion it would be over coffee. That, I was open to sharing how I felt but it would never be on social media.

The classic Christian reasoning guiding my decision…


  • ·      We are called to break bread with one another and then it can lead to those conversations.
  • ·      Everything (not everything) get’s misconstrued online, it has to be in person.
  • ·      We have to be unified, don’t talk about it because you’re a witness.

I just don’t buy it anymore.

This is where the conversation is happening. 
Would I like to have it over coffee? 
Absolutely, send me an invite. 
But, the reality is our world is not becoming less digital, 
if I want a seat at the table it will be here.


Here's a look at where I'm at, the questions I’ve been asking myself the last year or so….


  1. Why does the church talk about abortion and homosexuality? Why is those two subjects that have become a political flag for the church? Jesus didn’t talk about them hardly at all, so why does the church?
  2. What about the women who consider the abortion? Does your church ever talk about the plight of those that have found themselves in the position where abortion feels like the only option? Do y’all talk about them? Or is it primarily about the baby?
  3. What about birth control? Does your church talk about that?  I think we’d all agree that a major decline in abortions would be the goal, that no woman ever having to consider it would be ideal. So what’s the conversation around prevention? That feels like a practical conversation, that could lead solve real problems. What does your church say about this? 
  4.  Does your church talk about the Black Lives Matter movement? Why or why not? If so, what do they say? If they don’t does it bother you? 
  5. What does your have to say about immigrants? Both legal and illegal. Our Mexican brother and sisters are fearful and vulnerable right now. Does your church talk about this?
  6.  What about Muslims in our country? Does your church talk about what they are enduring in our country right now? I read a quote that said “ISIS is to Muslims what the KKK is to Christians,” wouldn’t it be awful if you were associated with the KKK off the bat? 
  7. On that note, does your church talk about the issue of White Supremacy in our country? What do they say? The hard thing is that currently White Supremacy and Christianity are going hand in hand – this is sticky. Will the church go there? Tear down the lies and the walls? Has yours?
  8. What about refugees? What does your church say about what is going on in Syria? Is your church in favor or opposed to refugees finding a safe haven in our country? Why or why not?

And what about you? 
Do you think of these things like I do? 

This isn’t a jab at my church or church family, I love them dearly, I think most know this. This is however, a questioning of the American Church, what we’ve become and where we are headed.

I can’t believe that the church has chosen to stay out of the conversation of 2-8 based on political reasons; because 1 is political, and they've gone there full force. 

So, I have to sit back and ask myself why. Jesus talked about social justice issues, he honed in on them, reached out to the marginalized, became friends with the outcasts, called out those who didn’t (the Pharisees) and chose to break bread with the sinners.

I can’t for the life of me reconcile this with the American Church.
Fight or Flee.
I want to fix it, so I’ll fight to be a member of the church that I think Jesus wants.
But, this is hard and that’s okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment